Through our capital development project, Studio Voltaire has an exciting opportunity to develop and nurture an essential artistic community in South London.
Studio Voltaire’s existing building has been completely renovated providing a range of high quality, light–filled studios. The scheme has afforded a 42% increase in affordable workspace through the building of a new mezzanine level.
New facilities and programmes will allow us to significantly increase the amount of support we can offer artists; foreground our studios as a site for artistic production, research and experimentation; and better integrate our studios with the rest of the organisation.
Our Curator (Studios and Residencies), a newly appointed post, will develop dedicated studio programmes in conversation with our artists and tenants, including networking opportunities, talks, workshops, studio tours and our annual open studios.
We aim to establish a group of artists working within contemporary art practice, who collectively constitute a wide range of interests, experiences and modes of working, representing a diversity of practices and perspectives. We are looking for practitioners who will benefit from having a sustained affordable workspace, and are interested in actively contributing to the onsite artistic community, as well as Studio Voltaire and our wider community.
We strongly welcome applications from people who are currently underrepresented in the arts, including those of Black, Asian and minority ethnic heritage, those who have faced socio-economic barriers, those with disabilities, chronic illness or long-term health conditions and those who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Intersex.
Workspace at Studio Voltaire
- We provide a range of high–quality, light–filled workspaces with 24-hour access. All spaces have heating and WIFI, and the majority have direct natural light and are self enclosed.Workspace is provided on an ongoing basis and at an affordable rate of £21 per sqft and an additional administrative fee is charged at £10 per month.
- The Communal Studio is for artists who do not need a traditional studio and allows provision for other cultural workers such as curators, writers, educators, etc. This large open plan space includes a large shared desk as well as individual partitioned workspaces around the perimeter of the room designed for 10 people.
- The studios will include a dedicated shared social and event space equipped with a kitchen, audio visual equipment and flexible seating.
- The site also includes a new bookable workshop which will enhance production facilities onsite and a bookable project studio.
- All studios are fully accessible. Studios located on the mezzanine level are accessible by a lift and stairs. Accessible, all gender bathroom facilities are available on both floors.
- Studio Voltaire is located in Clapham (Zone 2) and has excellent transport links (Northern Line, London Overground) and local facilities. There are no car parking facilities available.
- View floor plans here.
- Occupation of the studios will be from June 2021.
How to Apply
Applications for studios are now open.
The deadline for applications is 5pm GMT on 1 April 2021. Applications received after this date will not be considered until studios become available in the future.